Apply for IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program. Application is now open for IMU Simons African Fellowship Program 2020 for mathematicians from African developing countries.
The fellowship program supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from African developing countries employed in Africa to travel to an internationally known mathematical center of excellence (worldwide) for collaborative research. Read more details below
About The Fellowship Program
Why IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program? The IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program is funded by the Simons Foundation, NY, USA and supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from African developing countries employed in Africa to travel to an internationally known mathematical center of excellence (worldwide) for collaborative research. All travel and living expenses of the grantees will be covered by the fellowship up to 5,000 USD.
The Simons Foundation is a private foundation based in New York City, incorporated in 1994 by Jim and Marilyn Simons. The Simons Foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences. They sponsor a range of programs in the sciences, including grants programs in mathematics and the physical sciences.
The primary focus of the foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences division is the theoretical sciences radiating from mathematics: in particular, the fields of mathematics, theoretical computer science and theoretical physics.
Fellowship Application Deadline
The application for IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program 2020 is open and closes on January 15, 2020.
Fellowship Grant Values
The IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program grant has value covering;
- Up to 5,000 USD:
- Travel costs
- Cost from the place of work of the applicant to that of the host to the extent of economy class airfare. The flight will be booked and directly paid by the IMU Secretariat.
- Public transport (surface transport by rail or bus between the nearest city where the airport is located and the headquarters of the candidate or the city/town where the host institution is located, if necessary). Maximum four (4) Taxi fares (on submission of receipts) may be allowed to travel between the home and the airport/railway station (upon arrival and departure).
- In case the applicant has to stay in a hotel before departure or upon arrival, this needs to be mentioned in the budget details. Maximum one (1) night (both arrival and departure) can be paid from the grant.
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living cost (daily allowance based on living cost of the visiting country/city, This amount includes the cost for public transport and all other living costs). For a list please go here. If the accommodation includes breakfast or any other meals, the daily amount will be reduced.
- Accommodation cost in the host country (hotel is allowed if the host provides a statement that no guesthouse or rented flat is available and max. 4 weeks. If you stay longer than 4 weeks you have to rent a suitable apartment or guesthouse).
Receipts for cash payments for accommodation costs can not be accepted! You have to pay via a trackable transfer method.
Eligibility And Requirements
Go through all the requirements listed below before sending your application. To be eligible for IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program 2020 applicants must;
Hold a valid doctoral degree (PhD) in mathematics.
Be based (place of work) in an African developing country.
Be employed as a mathematician in a faculty of a university or an equivalent higher education institution.
Be granted appropriate leave of absence from his/her home institution which will cover the period of the visit. See more on the website.
Eligible Countries for the IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program
For the IMU Simons African Fellowship Program, mathematicians from the following countries can apply:
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Côte d’Ivoire
- Congo (D.R. of the)
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- U.R. of Tanzania: Mainland
The following documents and materials are required to apply for IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program
- A completed Application form.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) -two CV of both the applicant and the host professor.
- A detailed Research program plan:
- Expected interaction with local mathematicians and PhD students
- General aim of the visit
- Schedule of research visit (including planned lectures/ meetings with colleagues etc.)
- Tentative Budget details (in USD) must be included. It should be a detailed draft of the approximate spending (see ‘Grant details’ below for a detailed overview of what is covered) on the visit.
- A formal letter of invitation from the host institution, which clearly specifies the period of the visit
- A formal letter from the home institution, which clearly specifies the employment status of the grantee and that the applicant has been granted appropriate leave of absence.
- A picture of you to CDC Grants via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Detailed financial report (in original by post).
Upcoming Deadlines for completed applications
October 1st, 2019 for research visits between January 15th, 2020 and January 15th, 2021 (Decisions will be made by November 15th, 2019)
January 15th, 2020 for research visits between May 15th, 2020 and May 15th, 2021 (Decisions will be made by March 15th, 2020)
April 15th, 2020 for research visits starting between August 1st, 2020 and August 1st, 2021 (Decisions will be made by June 15th, 2020)
July 15th, 2020 for research visits starting between November 1st, 2020 and November 1st, 2021 (Decisions will be made by September 15th, 2020)
How To Apply
Application procedure for IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program. In order to apply please check eligibility and take the following steps:
- Please fill out and submit the online application form for the IMU-Simons Programs.
- Upload all requested documents.
- If your application is NOT completed by the deadline, it CANNOT be considered for evaluation. Please send your application at least two weeks in advance so it can be checked.
Like This Or Need More Information?
Share This, Apply or Get More Details Here.