Call For Submission: The Kendeka Prize for African Literature 2021 (Prize Ksh 100,000) application is now open. It’s aims at giving African writers, especially the unpublished an opportunity for which they can showcase their work.
The Kendeka Prize for African Literature 2021 will be awarded for the best piece of an unpublished short story either fiction or creative non-fiction. The winners will be awarded the following cash rewards.
Start Submitting Entries, The Kendeka Prize for African Literature 2021 (Prize Ksh 100,000) application is now open
Why Participate In Kendeka Prize
As an African writer who demonstrate strong writing of literature, the opportunity do assist for your unpublished short story either fiction or creative non-fiction to be recognized and awarded.
The new prize is an initiative of Andrew Maina, a Kenyan writer, through Solano Publications Ltd. All entries are free at no cost for application and process.
About Kendeka Prize for African Literature 2021
As an initiative by Andrew Maina, a Kenyan writer, through the support of Solano Publications Ltd. The Kendeka Prize for African Literature provides many African writers an opportunity of not only telling their own stories, but the freedom of telling them, as they are. This is because for a long time, the ‘African Story’ has been told by foreigners, a people who purport to know Africa. They have ended up with a story of Africa, a single story of a hungry, warring, ailing and backward people, a story of a continent full of calamities. This is their new version of the story of the Dark Continent!
This kind of African story is what our sister, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie warns against and calls it ‘The Danger of a Single Story’. She goes on to tell us “That when we reject the single story, when we realize that there is never a single story about any place, we regain a kind of paradise”. This is the paradise that Kendeka Prize for African Literature aims at regaining.
We want to hear stories of the beauty of our people, the ingenious architect of the pyramids and that of Timbuktu, the snow-capped mountains in the tropics, the roar of the Victoria Falls, the wild savannas and much more.
Through this platform, more people will have access to their work which will, in turn, inspire more writing.
Closing Date of Application: The deadline for submission of application is March 31, 2021
Award Type: Prize For African Literature Writers
This Prize will be awarded for the best piece of unpublished short story either fiction or creative non-fiction. The first prize will be
- Ist Prize-KShs.100,000 while the
- 2nd Prize-Kshs 50,000
- 3rd Prize 25,000. The remaining two of the five short listed stories shall receive KShs 5,000 each.
Eligibility Criteria For Kendeka Prize for African Literature
The following requirements must be met by all the applicants.
- Entrants must be born in, or are citizens of any African country.
- One entry per writer.
- Manuscripts should be of between 3000 and 5000 words.
- All entries must be in English language.
- Entries to be submitted should be attached in Microsoft Word or Rich Text format, with the title of the story as the file name.
- The first page of the story should include the name of the story and the number of words.
- The entry must be typed in Times New Roman 12 point font with 1.5 line spacing.
- Entries must be sent as attachments to an email.
- The email to which the story is attached must include the legal name of the writer, telephone number, a short Bio, age, and country of residence.
Documentation Required For Kendeka Prize for African Literature
The following are the necessary documents and writing format that must be followed.
- Written manuscript of 3000 to 5000 words
- Entries must be attached in Microsoft word and font style Times New Roman 12 point font with 1.5 line spacing.
Timelines For The Kendeka Prize for African Literature 2021
- Entries submissions starts: 1st February to 31st May 2021
- Judging: 1st June to 31August 2021
- Long List; First week of August
- Short List; Third week of August
- Prize Giving Ceremony; 1st October at Sarit Centre, during the Nairobi International Book Fair
How To Apply For Kendeka Prize for African Literature 2021
Entries submission has started, you can submit your entries online.
All long listed stories shall be published in anthology titled I Am listening, 2021 Edition. The prize shall be awarded at a ceremony to be held during the Nairobi International Book Fair.
Need To Apply?
Please send unpublished manuscripts to email@example.com or Click here to visit the website
Like This Article? Lets us know in the comment how helpful it is, Do share with friends on social media websites using the share button.
Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter for more interesting available updates
Also, Subscribe to our free email notification to receive more interesting information, programs, scholarships, and opportunities.
References: https://www.solanopublications.com, https://www.jamesmurua.com