Table of Contents
Applications are invited for the Brunel International African Poetry Prize 2021. The Poet award is open to African poets who were born in Africa, or who are nationals of an African country
The Brunel International African Poetry Prize is offered to those peots from Africa countries by Brunel University London to encourage poets. Each year the poetry prizes is sponsored by the university with focus on the development, celebration and promotion of poetry from Africa.
The application for the Brunel International African Poetry Prize closes November 31, 2020.
About Poetry Prize
Annually the poetry Prize is sponsored by Brunel University London to award poets who are from Africa or whose parents are African. The Prize works closely with the African Poetry Book Fund (APBF) and since its inception, most of the poets who have been nominated and/or won this award have published chapbooks with the African Poetry Book Fund series of ‘New Generation Chapbook Box Sets’.
The Prize is open to poets who were born in Africa, or who are nationals of an African country, or whose parents are African. It is for ten poems exactly in order to encourage serious poets. These poems may, however, have already been published. Only poets who have not yet had a full-length poetry book published are eligible. Poets who have self-published poetry books or had chapbooks and pamphlets published are allowed to submit for this prize.
The poetry prize valued for £3000, aimed at the development, celebration and promotion of poetry from Africa. The Prize is sponsored by Brunel University London..
Requirements And Rules
- Be an African Poet: Born in Africa, or who are nationals of an African country, or whose parents are African.
- Poems must be written in English. Poems translated into English are also accepted with a percentage of the prize going to the translator.
- Applicants must be an African poets who have not yet had a full-length poetry book published. Self-published poetry books, chapbooks and pamphlets are exempt from this stipulation.
- Each entrant must submit 10 poems to be eligible (no more and no less, and no poem should exceed 30 lines in length.)
- Submitted poems may have been previously published or won previous awards.
- On no grounds and under no circumstances can alterations be made to poems once entered.
- Under no circumstances will the organisers or judges enter into discussions with entrants who have submitted for the prize.
- The prize organisers reserve the right to not award the prize if, in the judges’ opinion, such an action is justified. The organisers also reserve the right to split the prize if they decide that more than one poet is worthy of it.
- The judges’ decision is final and they will not enter into any correspondence with entrants regarding their decisions.
- Poems must be the original work of the entrant.
- Each poem must have a title or a number
- Poems should be single spaced and there is no stipulation regarding font type and size. See more of rules and requirements before commencing application.
How To Apply For Brunel International African Poetry Prize 2021
Please Note: Interested in submitting an application for the postdoctoral research fellowship? then follow the steps below
Poems must be emailed in a SINGLE Word document attachment (not PDF) – with an index cover page that contains the entrants’ name, nationality, country of birth, full address including country of permanent residence, personal email address and telephone number.
All entries must be submitted via email address (find email address below)
The submission document must be name of the poet, not the name of the prize.
The entire submission must be in black ink, no colours.
Individual poems received as separate file attachments and poems sent within the body of an email will be automatically rejected with no notification to the poet.
Need To Apply?
All entries must be submitted via email only to BUAPP@brunel.ac.uk.
Like This Article? Do let us know how helpful it is to you in the comment and share with friends on social media websites
Also subscribe to our free email notification to get interesting updates on colleges and programs, scholarships and financial aids with lot’s of opportunities for students.