Table of Contents
The University of Pretoria is a research intensive university in South Africa, has a rooted reputation for excellence in academic, particularly in relation to its major research activities.
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA COMMONWEALTH DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP
READ ALSO: United Nation Alliance of Civilization (UNAOC) 2019 Youth Solidarity Fund Application
COMMONWEALTH DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP – AWARD
- Students accommodation and living costs
- Fees p.a.
- Medical Aid
- Additional costs covered by the University:
- Flight ticket to RSA from home country on proof of study permit.
- Return flight ticket to home country at the end of the programme as confirmed by the faculty.
- Shuttle service on arrival in South Africa from OR Tambo International Airport to Pretoria and return from Pretoria to OR Tambo on completion.
- UP application fee and Visa costs which will be refunded on proof of receipts on arrival.
COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
REQUIREMENTS FOR COMMONWEALTH DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP
- Applicants need to be a citizen of Commonwealth countries as Doctoral Scholarship will be awarded to candidates from the country
- Applicants must conduct their studies at the University of Pretoria to commence in 2019.
- Applicants must have completed the degree that will give them admission to a doctoral study programme. There shouldn’t be more than three years gap between completed programme their application for the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship.
- Applicants age must not be more than 35 years at the time of application for doctoral commonwealth scholarship.
- Currently registered students undertaking PhD and Masters studies at the University of Pretoria are not eligible for the doctoral commonwealth Scholarship.
COMMONWEALTH DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP SELECTION CRITERIA
- Academic performance.
- Potential to undertake advanced research activities.
- Leadership qualities.
- Evidence of research accomplishment at the masters’ level by means of publications or other
- appropriate products of the work undertaken.
- Prizes and honours received.
- A selection process will be conducted by the University’s Institutional Selection Committee. The University reserves the right to amend without prior notice, the regulations and scholarship values and/or conditions applicable to the awarding of this bursary.
- The successful applicant will be sent an official award letter viae-mail. Applicants, who have not received written notification within ten weeks of the closing date must consider themselves unsuccessful.
- Ensure you have the required permission/leave from your work place to take up a three year
- scholarship at the time of applying. (if applicable).
- Ensure that you will be eligible to apply for a study permit.
- Ensure you are able to pay for the medical insurance that is required for a study permit.
- Apply concurrently to UP for 2019 admittance, while applying for this scholarship.
DOCUMENTS FOR COMMONWEALTH DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
- Application form for the University of Pretoria PhD Commonwealth Scholarship
- Attached to the application form the following:
- The University of Pretoria Online application Ref “T” number or 2019 student number (if available).
- A written motivation from the prospective Doctoral supervisor that applicant will be supervised by them and research is funding available.
- An outline (one A4 page), of the proposed research work.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – no more than 3 pages
- Proof that study leave will be granted if the scholarship is awarded. (if applicable).
- Copy of passport.
- Full academic transcripts of all qualifications obtained. (not certificates)
- 2x completed reference forms from two different academics/supervisors who have current knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance. (Reference form attached)