Table of Contents
This PhD grant for fieldwork support Faculty of Arts Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) graduate researchers who are Australian citizen and international students can submit application for the Faculty of Arts PhD Fieldwork Grant 2020 at University of Melbourne
The PhD Fieldwork Grant offered at the University enable students who are graduate researchers to conduct projects in which the primary data for the PhD thesis can be collected only in a field location over an extended period of time.
The Melbourne Faculty of Arts PhD Fieldwork Grant application is due by September 1, 2020.
Degree Level: PhD Research (Fieldwork)
The grant for the PhD fieldwork has a value worth of a maximum of $10,000 over the duration of the PhD candidature (whether in one long trip, or several repeat trips) will be awarded
Items usually funded
- The costs of return (economy) fares to the primary site of field research
- Domestic travel and transport costs
- Government Fees & Research Visas
- Access fees (i.e. costs of community access, gatekeeping, interpreting in the field, etc.)
Requirements and Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to:
- be an international student or citizen of Australia
- be a PhD graduate researcher enrolled in the Faculty of Arts or MA graduate researcher who has been given provisional approval to convert to PhD at confirmation,
- be post-confirmation or within three months of your expected confirmation date (note: funding awarded before confirmation will be provisional upon successful confirmation or for travel to take place after confirmation),
- be able to demonstrate that the primary data collection for your PhD requires fieldwork methodology.
- be undertaking fieldwork for a single period of three months or more duration, or for several periods that together total three months or more.
- submit an initial application to the PhD Fieldwork scheme within two years (equivalent full-time) of commencement
- be able to present a reasonable and justifiable budget
- have school support for 25% of the total budget requested. Your School Funding will be the source of this contribution, and
- be able to demonstrate that you have met all relevant University policy requirements relating to their fieldwork (such as compliance with the University’s code of conduct for research and student travel policy):
Applicants must include the following documents in application
The application must include in the online application form:
- A description of the thesis project and the fieldwork methodology, demonstrating how it meets the criteria throughout this page,
- A detailed timetable for fieldwork travel (including timetable of expenditure),
- A budget:
Evidence of sources of quotations budgeted items (ie. airfares and the source of other costs requested, etc.)
A detailed case must be made for why accommodation or research assistance costs should be supported
A letter from your principal supervisor outlining:
How your methodology meets the guidelines above of what constitutes fieldwork,
That the proposed fieldwork is essential and integral to the project, and
That the fieldwork program was, or will be identified as an integral part of the application for confirmation of PhD candidature, or concurrently with an application for conversion from Master’s to confirmed PhD candidature.
How to Apply
To apply for PhD funding 2020, please submit an application on the link below.
Follow application procedure to submit application for the PhD Fieldwork grant 2020 at University of Melbourne, Australia
Applicants are to make and submit an online application on the website(see link below)
Completely fill the online application form for University of Melbourne Faculty of Arts PhD Fieldwork Grant and submit application before the deadline September 1, 2020.
Need to Apply?
Also subscribe to our free email notification to receive mails on new available opportunity update