Canon Foundation-Kyoto University Japan-Africa Exchange Program started in 2018, based on the Memorandum of Understanding concluded between the Canon Foundation in Europe (CFE) and Kyoto University (KU).
The Canon Foundation program offers fellowships to highly qualified researchers in fields of research related to African Studies. The program is intended to support 1) fellows from KU who want to do research in Africa, and 2) for scholars from Kyoto University’s partner institutes in Africa who want to do research in Kyoto.
The application for the Canon Foundation Exchange Fellowship closes February 15, 2021
The financial support for Canon Foundation successful applicants ranges from 22,500 Euro to 27,500 Euro per year and is pro-rated for different periods. CFE will directly administer the payments and notify the detailed payment procedure to each successful applicant.
Duration: The fellowships are for a minimum period of three months up
to maximum of one year between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021
Degree Level: Fellowship (Research)
Location: Africa and Japan (Koyoto)
Requirement and Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants need to be holding at least an MA degree and employed either at KU or KU’s partner institutions as post-doctoral fellows or faculty members at the time of applying.
- be a fellows from KU who carry out research at host institutions or
- be a scholar coming to KU from its partner institutions in Africa to conduct their
research at Kyoto University.
Please submit the following documents to Kyoto University Africa Unit (email@example.com):
- Your research plan including a clear title at the top of the page as well as starting/ending dates of the proposed research. The research plan needs to include a general cost estimate, including living, travel, research costs, insurance, and etc. (maximum 2 pages)
- 2 reference letters (maximum 1 page each) from 2 persons. One letter should be from someone in a position to comment on your academic qualifications and professional work while the other should be a confirmation letter from your prospective host who can provide research or work facilities to you during the proposed period.
- Your Curriculum Vitae
- 1 copy of your doctoral certificate or your highest academic degree
- 1 passport size photograph of yourself
- 1 list of your academic publications or professional achievements in chronological order containing information on all authors, place and year of publication and page references.
How to Apply for Canon Foundation-Kyoto Exchange Fellowship program
The deadline for applications is February 15, 2021
Please submit the above listed documents to Kyoto University Africa Unit (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Consideration of the applications takes place first at KU and then at CFE. For a complete list of KU’s partner institutions, please visit its Global Engagement Website at http://www.oc.kyoto-u.ac.jp/agreement/en/.
The Selection Committee of CFE will make final decisions
and email the results to applicants before the end of January of the following year.
For any questions concerning the application, please email Kyoto University Africa Unit at
Like This Article? Do well to let us know how helpful it is to you, Share with friends on social media websites.
Also, subscribe to our free email notification to receive mails on interesting opportunities, financial aids, scholarship and programs.